In 2015, consumers spent $341.73 billion on online purchases in the United States; a 14.6% increase from 2014. During the same time period, in-store consumer purchases only grew by 3.1% (U.S. Department of Commerce).
People are shopping more and they are shopping online! They also love their mobile devices, and they expect e-commerce websites to be compatible for their mobile devices. They also expect free shipping from e-retailers.
What else do we know about these online consumers everyone is talking about these days?
internet RETAILER recently conducted a survey of 500 online consumers and found out the following interesting facts about their shopping habits and expectations:
- 51% place at least two online orders each month,
- 94% have an Amazon membership, and 71% have access to Amazon Prime,
- 88% believe that shopping online is safe,
- 41% prefer to contact e-retailers via e-mail for customer assistance,
- 48% buy more items in order to qualify for free shipping,
- 42% expect to receive their orders in 4-5 days
So, what does this mean for both e-retailers and brick/mortar retailers? It means that both need to listen and take action yesterday! Otherwise, Amazon and other e-retailers who are proactively catering to online shoppers’ needs will drive them out of business as quickly as one can say Prime.